Monday, January 22, 2018

Semana 1

How I Met My Neighbors

            I landed in Costa Rica with a migraine. When a man offered to collect our bags, put them on a cart, and load them in a taxi I said “Sí!!!!!”. He offered to take my backpack as well and I figured that might help my aching head and sweating body. Una problema – I didn’t think about my backpack much more after this. Mostly I was thinking about not projectile vomiting in the taxi. Right up until the taxi driver was driving away from my new abode, that is. I tried yelling from behind my gated apartment fence for him to stop. He didn’t. I happened to see one of the residents of the apartment adjacent to mine heading up the stairs so, knowing they were awake, I knocked on the door. Mercifully he spoke English (I was in no shape to hablar en español) and I hadn’t tossed the cab information. After I explained the situation he called the taxi service (I didn’t have my CR number yet) and while waiting for the return of my backpack he and his roommate carried all of my luggage upstairs! I haven’t communicated with them much since this event, other than to drop off some thank-you chocolates, but they were my heroes my first night here!

Plane Philosophy

            On the flight to Costa Rica I sat next to Joel (Jo-elle). After offering her a snack from my personal stash she asked if I was always so nice to strangers. I thought about it and decided on “mostly” but then my mind wandered to how I treat non-strangers. Specifically, people who have offended me in some way that I can’t quite let go of… I am thinking perhaps I should treat these people more like strangers in the future. ;-)

Otra Cosas

  • Mi amiga y yo ate breakfast at La Caserita in my new hometown our first morning here. The proprietor, Frank, gifted each of us with a chorreador! You can learn more here: http://www.ticotec.net/index.html 
  • People here are incredibly observant! I am not, as my mother could tell you. Two people have commented on my new glasses after briefly meeting me months ago. Two people have commented on seeing me walking about various places. Maybe this trait will rub off on me! Or maybe people are generally observant and I am hopeless? 😁
  • Thus far the work visa process hasn’t seemed overly difficult. Some disgruntled expats would lead one to believe it’s nearly impossible. Getting my US papers was painless – granted I was still there. The fingerprinting process in Costa Rica was equally painless. I don’t have a visa in my possession yet but all the paperwork has been handed over and it seems to be a matter of waiting at this point.
  • For our first week of work we got free breakfast every day! #itsthelittlethings
  • I am impressed with the diversity in my very narrow circle. I have met friends from Cuba, Colombia, and Argentina.

Things I miss (other than my cats, obviously)

  • Sea level. Seriously, when will I be able to breathe again? #thestruggleisreal
  • Water pressure. #firstworldproblems

Until next time…

            

No comments: