Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Semana 3

Murph vs. The Pura Vida

It would seem Murph isn’t troubled by political borders. Maybe if we built a wall.... but I digress. He has been showing his can-go-wrong face around here a lot. There was the water, as you’ve read by now. There was the snapped clothesline that dumped my clean clothes on the floor... to which I laughed and headed to work. #takethatmurphy #doesanyoneknowhowtoknot


But this weekend it got serious. First, the vase holding the lovely flowers I bought myself were taken out by a gust of wind, pouring water into my storage containers below...


Then, a case of dyslexia set in and I recharged someone else’s phone. (Recharged = added data). This was followed by a thrown breaker. I'm no stranger to thrown breakers but I couldn't find a breaker to throw to save my life. I moved the rice cooker to the bedroom and was going to let the Pura Vida ride that one out but then I realized the fridge was off. Bring in the hero next door. He’s going to need more chocolate. He pointed out that the breaker box was hiding behind the mirror I’ve been contemplating tossing. #byefelicia


That was Sunday… fast forward to Monday afternoon. I realize my new "English" computer - the one I got because I asked to not have to operate in Spanish - doesn’t have Microsoft Powerpoint.

That’s it, Murph, you win! Done. Meltdown. Panic. To quote the Chepe sign vandal “Pura Malavida”.  Luckily the More or Less has a binder for that. #lasttimeiaskforenglish #untiltomorrow


Politics and Propaganda 

Sunday was Election Day aquí en Costa Rica. It’s kind of a big deal. There is only one day of voting and it’s something of a celebration. I feel like in the US we are so weary of politics by the time the day arrives that for most of us Election Day isn’t much of a celebration, other than to celebrate it being mercifully brought to an end, whichever terrible candidate wins. There I go digressing again! On Saturday before the elections there began to be processionals (flag adorned vehicles honking their horns) down the calle outside my apartment. When I ubered to church in the evening I asked my driver about the bandera waving activity to which he replied “mucha propaganda”. He could be my tico libertarian soulmate. Side note: horn honking seems to be a national pastime in all Latin American countries I have visited.

Antes o Después

About that internet saga. Let’s all pause a moment to pray that Charity gets some internet in her casa.

Amen.


An unnamed internet provider was to arrive Saturday after a benevolent coworker helped me arrange things. At around 3 in the afternoon I spoke with said provider and they were to arrive “antes” 6 in the evening. Cool! I’ll make my daily More or Less run before they arrive. So there I was... leisurely wondering where peanut butter might be and exactly how precio it is when it hits me. Antes = before. Not. After. I know this. *sigh* Speed home on foot trying not to break the eggs... arriving shortly before I get the much-anticipated call to FINALLY have internet. If only.  Guy tours my house for about a minute. Well, two. He desperately needed water which I provided and he drank. So we will say two minutes. Says he needs to go outside to look at something and that was the last I saw of him. He texts me to inform me they can’t provide service here. On top of all of that his phone didn’t work, and he was in no way identified as being an employee of the company. All very strange and despite the ongoing data drought it seems for the best that he vanished.

Otra Cosas:
- I discovered Maria Bonita's Mexican which is my new favorite place. Freddy the Tico met Maria the Mexican online and brought her to Costa Rica where she is now serving up delicious comida. Freddy speaks English and adoringly places Maria's fine cooking. Also offers a pleasant view of the town and center and reliable wifi.

Things I Miss:
- Internet.
- Internet.
- And also, internet.

This probably has seemed a negative post but I like to think of it as the slap stick comedy version of my CR life. If I told you the view of the mountains blows me away every day and that people are by and large helpful and friendly it wouldn't be a very interesting read, now would it? Until next time...


No comments: